Thursday, December 02, 2004

Four and counting....

I had dinner last night with a very good friend. During the course of the evening we discussed one of the taboo topics - Religion. Apparently, despite any or all of his current actions, he still classifies himself as Catholic. I admit to being a member of the ever-growing religion - lapsed Catholic. It has been a long time since I could identify with the ideals and motivations of the main-stream church. Further still, I find it difficult to believe in a deity of any type. But I digress.

My dear friend then contemplated the Ten Commandments. Firstly, we both had a great deal of trouble actually recalling them. The obvious ones were easy. Lots of "coveting" and the like, plus the ones about killing and adultery. Then it started to get a little scratchy and hazy in the memory banks. But his next contemplation was actually how many of the commandments he has broken. Perhaps a shocking thing to consider for someone who has just admitted to still identifying with Catholicism as his religion-du-jour.

At a rough guess, he estimated that he had broken seven of the ten. I am reckoning on about four for myself (although I am still a little hazy on the "coveting"). Anyone able to beat us?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay Ms Cath
I guess I should have realised you would post this, but anyways just because I said I had probably broken a lot of them, didn't mean that I still/always broke them.

I am the LORD your God, no other gods before me.
Do not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
Observe the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Honour your father and your mother.
You shall not kill.
Neither shall you commit adultery.
Neither shall you steal.
Neither shall you bear false witness against your neighbor.
Neither shall you covet your neighbor's wife.
Neither shall not desire your neighbor's house, etc.

Well, one and two I think I haven't broken. (seriously okay, not just saying 'jesus!' or something)
Three, well haven't we all worked at some stage during Sunday?? does that really count though?
Four I think I keep true.
Five is gone, same with six (well, I wasn't the married one anyway) and seven.
Eight, not sure, I think I haven't broken it.
Nine falls with the adultery one, but I think ten is safe.
So all up maybe a 50% strike rate, (at worst version yes it is 70%) but I am getting better. Can't say I have broken one for a very long time now :)