Saturday, March 05, 2005

(con)Textually Speaking

The proliferation of mobile phones has meant a certain change in the way the world of dating now functions. For me, my phone is a compulsory part of dating, and in some instances, has proved to be a boon to those inevitable dating nerves. So many things can be said in a few short messages, that you may never be brave enough to say face to face.

Many years ago I was studying a night course with a delightful group of people. One of these people was a handsome gentleman, with whom I seemed to share an amazing amount of sexual tension. It was obvious to all in the room, including our teacher, that something was definitely going on here. One night, we finally fell into a conversation after class, which then proceeded to many SMS's whilst he was driving home. After a good couple of hours of this, I decided to bite the proverbial and messaged him, "So, when are you going to ask me out?". That blunt question led to a lovely evening - no relationship - but a nice dinner nonetheless.

Last night I had the good fortune to again to be messaging a lovely gentleman. Both of us with a happy amount of drinks imbibed, and a good Friday-night post-work vibe, meant a flurry of enjoyable, and slightly flirtatious, SMS's ensued. Certainly good clean fun, and left me smiling at the end of the night. Thank you Mr Jazz.

No comments: