Tuesday, March 29, 2005

"If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there."


I was visited last week by the ex, N. It was lovely to see him and hear about what is going on his world of late. He is the only ex that I have ever maintained any contact with, maybe because our relationship wasn't working and we both knew and parted before we really hated each other. Nevertheless, we are better as friends.

Over the weekend I was asked about N, and I related what a lovely person he is, and a basically good man. I was then queried, "So, why not get back together?". The question came as a shock since I really could not even imagine getting back together with him. He is quite simply a great person, but not for me. There is also the mind-set that you should never have "sex with the ex", and never go back. Either way, I am very happy for him in his current relationship and have no deep-seated jealousies lurking anywhere.

By contrast, over the weekend, L7 was rung by a long-lost love (LLL). Sounding rather like a Hollywood movie, LLL had had a tragic auto accident, and in his recovery realised the errors of his ways, and that L7 was indeed the love of his life. LLL proclaimed apologies for every bastard thing he ever inflicted upon L7 and vowed that should she take him back, he would never every hurt her again.

So what should she do? Cynic that I am, I would normally hesitate, but I can't help but be sucked in by the overwhelming romance of the moment. But to keep things in some sort of perspective, I shall at this point quote from one of my favourite movies" the incomparable "Grosse Pointe Blank".

"If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it's...well... broken."

Good luck L7.

No comments: