Monday, February 27, 2006

My movie needs

Berry Boy and I went to the movies last night to see "Syriana". Admittedly, I didn't know much about it when I went to see it, and spent much of it over-awed by the sheer volume of greed. Despite this, it was a brilliant portrayal, and heck, I am always eager to see George Clooney acting like a fat old bastard, rather than a sex symbol.

But these are all garnish to the issue of the evening.

When we met at the movie, I declared that I "needed" popcorn. It was 7pm. I had just come from the gym, and hadn't eaten since breakfast. I was ravenous. This movie was the third that BB and I had seen together, and on none of those previous occasions had we ever consumed any food during the film. When I mentioned that I was going to get some popcorn for the movie, BB stated, "I don't think it is a popcorn sort of movie."

Now this is where I have to vehemently disagree. Movies are an excuse to stuff your face full of popcorn and lollies in the dark, free from social censure. Granted that the food available is usually heavily sugar and/or fat-laden. That is, of course, the point.

I do know of people who are fundamentally opposed to eating at the movies. Obviously, I don't go to the movies with them. Movies and bad food are intrinsically linked, i.e. any movie is a "popcorn movie".

The funny part is, when I fronted up to purchase a small popcorn for my personal enjoyment, BB offered my some money to upsize to the large, so that he might share. And share he did.

The irony was not lost on me.

No comments: