If a tree falls....
I have just had a birthday. Try as I might to not want to acknowledge them (advice given by Absum), I fear I must always give a passing nod to the renewing of another year of existence.
As opposed to New Year's, I do tend to use birthdays to take stock of my life and make resolutions for the coming year. This year, I would like to
(and in no particular preference or order):
- buy a property
- clear my credit card debt (did I mention realism in any of these?)
- investigate ovarian tissue freezing and begin the required drugs if able
- undertake and pass exams in music/singing
- see more movies
- read some great works of fiction and not just commercial pap
- get a fabulous relationship (hmm, tried this one last year... but can't beat a girl for trying)
So how did I celebrate my birthday? Well, not very well I have to say. Most of my friends were either otherwise occupied with prior plans or just plain forgot. Although I have to congratulate one girlfriend on remembering and not only sending a gift from interstate, but calling as well. Her only downfall is that she thought that I was a year older than I am! My birthday evening saw me at home, cooking dinner from whatever was available in the freezer and dismissing the advances of a recent date (#1).
It then begs the question, if one fails to properly acknowledge a birthday - could one pretend it didn't happen?